State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI)
State Sponsored Life Insurance is a program that provides group term life insurance exclusively for National Guard members and their dependents. The program is derived from United States Public Law 93-289, May 24, 1974, enacted “to encourage persons to join and remain in the National Guard.”
The program features include:
- $1,000 no cost life insurance coverage on all active Soldiers and Airmen
- $10,000 to $260,000 additional coverage available for Soldiers and Airmen
- $5,000 to $155,000 available for spouses
- $5,000 to $10,000 available for children
- Coverage continues until age 70
- Provides an emergency death benefit up to $25,000 within 24 hours
- Benefits remain the same and monthly costs does not change when you retire or separate from the National Guard
- No war, aviation, or terrorism clauses
- Protection is 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and on or off duty
- Monthly premiums are payroll deducted for your convenience
- $40,000 scholarship fund available to a dependent when military member is insured for $100,000 of qualifying coverage and dies in a combat zone or due to an act of terrorism
5Star Life Certificate Reference
5Star Life Insurance Company is the underwriter for the insurance coverage you enrolled in as a member of the National Guard Association of California.
A copy of your group term life insurance certificate issued by 5Star Life Insurance Company policy number AFBA/MAT 090116 is available by clicking the url link below. Please print the certificate and file with your other insurance documents.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact the State Sponsored Life Insurance office at 800-462-7441.