The Right Protection for Guard Members
Since 2003, AFBA has proudly offered Better Alternative (BA) Life Insurance through the National Guard Associations as part of State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI) program. BA complements the basic SSLI coverage by providing additional coverage and features, and over the past few years, the program has experienced tremendous growth.
Today, more than 225,000 National Guard members, retirees, and their family members from 53 out of 54 Guard associations are covered through this valuable and much-needed program, representing more than $17.5 billion of insurance in force. Over the past 17 years, AFBA has paid more than $121 million in claims to Guard families; but more importantly, it has never closed enrollment, even during times of armed conflict. It has proudly assisted Guard families when they needed most.
AFBA – A Proud and Unwavering Partner
Founded in 1947 with the support of General Dwight Eisenhower, AFBA has stood by our country’s armed forces providing access to life insurance in both war and peace. It has paid death benefits to families of members who have lost their lives in every major military conflict from Korea through present day Iraq and Afghanistan. AFBA’s commitment and support to the National Guard is unwavering. AFBA death benefits are underwritten by its affiliate, 5Star Life Insurance Company (a Lincoln, Nebraska company).
Program highlights – Guard Members are Protected
- $1,000 death benefit at no cost to you
- Additional coverage available to you and your spouse
- No combat, terrorism, or geographical exclusions
- Coverage does not decrease over time
- No medical exam for Guard member under age 50 and up to $250,000 of coverage
- Member-focused claims and underwriting philosophy
- Overnight emergency death benefit payment up to $25,000 mailed within 24 hours of notification
- No added premium for flight status
- You can keep the coverage at the same rates after retirement or separation from service
Enhanced SSLI Rate Chart
AFBA’s proven commitment to the National Guard demonstrates the difference between a mission and a business. AFBA, always ready, always there for the National Guard.
For more information about the Better Alternative plan offered by AFBA, contact the agent support team Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM ET at 1-800-776-2322 option 4 with any questions.