Obtain “Veteran” Designation On Drivers Licenses And ID Cards

News Release

CONTACT: Paul Sullivan


November 16, 2015

CalVet 15-123

Three Easy Steps to Obtain “Veteran” Designation on Driver Licenses and Identification Cards

Sacramento – Last week former service members in California began receiving their new driver licenses and identification (ID) cards with the word “Veteran” printed on it (please see attached photo).

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet) reminds Veterans that they must first visit a County Veteran Service Office (CVSO) and obtain a Veteran Status Verification Form before contacting a DMV to apply for the Veteran designation.

Veterans are also required to pay a one-time $5 designation fee, in addition to any other application fees associated with a renewal, duplicate, or original driver license or ID card. The Veteran designation fee was part of the new law, also known as Assembly Bill 935.

To apply for your Veteran designation, please follow these three easy steps: get your discharge certificate, visit any CVSO, and then visit any DMV.

 STEP 1 – Find your military discharge certificate (DD214). If you need assistance obtaining your military records, then contact any County Veteran Service Office (CVSO) by calling 844-737-8838.

STEP 2 – Take your discharge certificate to any County Veteran Service Office (CVSO) to obtain your Veteran Status Verification Form. To find your CVSO, call 844-737-8838 or visit www.calvet.ca.gov.

STEP 3 – Present your completed and stamped Veteran Status Verification Form and driver license application to a DMV representative at your local DMV field office. Pay your $5 designation fee and related application fees.

Please remember, Veterans must first visit a CVSO and obtain the Veteran Status Verification Form before setting an appointment at DMV. For faster DMV service, schedule an appointment at a DMV field office by visiting www.dmv.ca.gov or calling 800-777-0133.