National Guard Association of California (NGAC)
Annual Scholarship Program
ANNEX A: Required Application Documents
- NGAC Scholarship Application Form (may be downloaded from www.ngac.org).
- Counselor’s Recommendation (for High School Seniors only) – to be completed by applicant’s High School counselor.
- Personal/Teacher/Professor/Professional Recommendation (required for ALL applicants) – to be completed by recommender.
- Commander’s Recommendation Form – to be completed by unit commander of the applicant or sponsor. Retired applicants or sponsors may submit retirement orders in lieu of.
- Recommendation Letters for Applicants – must come from someone OTHER THAN a relative of the applicant.
- Proof of Deployment – NGAC member applicants claiming deployment credit must provide a copy of DD214 or DD215 indicating dates of deployment and award of campaign medal or eligibility for Shoulder Sleeve Insignia for Former Wartime Service.
- Proof of Purple Heart Eligibility – Applicants or dependents claiming eligibility due to awarding of the Purple Heart Medal must provide a copy of DD214 or DD215 indicating its award to the applicant or sponsor.
- Proof of Military Dependent Status – Copy of one of the following: DoD dependent ID card (DD Form 1173 or DD Form 1173-1), birth certificate, marriage certificate, or California Secretary of State certificate of domestic partnership.
- All High School Senior applicants must also submit an Activities Summary with the following information listed:
- High School Activities and offices held
- High School honors and awards
- All Scholarship applicants must also submit an original essay, typed/printed, double-spaced, and not longer than 500 words answering the following question: What is the greatest challenge you have faced and how has it affected you?
- A scholarship may be revoked for any of the following reasons:
- Recipient fails to enroll in qualified trade school, college, or university.
- Recipient receives a criminal conviction.
- Recipient fails to meet eligibility criteria.
- CNG Applicant or Sponsor does not meet military obligations.
- Scholarship designees/recipients who accept an appointment to any service academy.
- Upon notification they have been selected to receive a scholarship award, all applicants must submit a copy of College, University, or Vocational-Technical School acceptance letter or transcript, ATTN: NGAC Executive Director, prior to disbursement of the award check.