(September 19, 2017) Gen. Mark A. Milley, the Army chief of staff, says the service’s new handgun will be in the hands of soldiers soon and said any problems with the weapon have been fixed.
“We ran it through tests. We ran it through drop tests,” he said. “And we went to the company and said ‘[Change] this, this, this, this,’ and they said, ‘Roger that, we’ll change it.’”
He said the modified version of the Sig Sauer XM17 was tested and “passed with flying colors,” according to Army Times.
Recent reports were that the new weapon had failed drop tests, but that seems to be the company’s civilian version the weapon, the P320. In a press release, Sig Sauer said the military version does not have a drop-test performance problem.
“The civilian version of this weapon is the not the same weapon we’re buying,” Milley said. He said “the guts and the internals” of the Army weapon are not the same as those in weapons found in gun stores or even on police forces.
Sig Sauer was awarded a 10-year, $580 million contract to produce the Modular Handgun System for the Army.
“They’re still going through some final testing that they’re doing right now, and then we’re going to field them,” Milley said.
Army Times reported earlier that the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, will be the first to receive the weapon later this year.