There are updated instructions on the State Parks – Distinguished Veteran and Disabled Discount Pass Exchange Program. The process is really simple and takes about 10-15 minutes. A list of locations were veterans can exchange their passes. From the Pass Exchange website: (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=29610)
Starting June 15, the California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) will be issuing new credit card design passes for current Distinguished Veteran (DVP) and Disabled Discount (DDP) pass holders as part of its transition to California’s new reservation system: ReserveCalifornia.
What to Bring:
If you have a Distinguished Veteran Pass, please bring the following documentation to a designated state park location:
- Distinguished Veteran Pass (copies not accepted) AND
- Valid California Driver License or California Identification Card showing veteran’s current California residence address (interim/temporary not accepted) AND
- Valid U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Veteran Identification Card.
If you have a Disabled Discount Pass, please bring the following documentation to a designated state park location:
- Disabled Discount Pass (copies not accepted) AND
- Valid state-issued driver license or suitable photo identification (interim/temporary not accepted) issued by the state, federal government or a school AND
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Permanently Disabled Status. Valid non-joint vehicle registration stating disabled status/license or valid Disabled Person Placard Identification Card/Receipt containing the name of disabled person (copy of placard will NOT be accepted) OR
- Ask your physician to complete the Doctor Certification in Section III of our Disabled Discount Pass application. The DDP application is located on DPR’s website at www.parks.ca.gov/passes.
What to Expect:
DPR staff will help you set up a new ReserveCaliforniaprofile which you can start using on Aug. 1, 2017.
- Once your profile is created and your discount pass eligibility validated, DPR staff will give you a receipt that will serve as your temporary pass while your new credit card style pass is mailed to you from DPR’s Pass Office (within 14 days of the date of exchange).
Current pass holders under the DVP and DDP programs may continue using their passes for camping reservations through July 31, 2017. Individuals may also use their current pass for day use through Feb. 28, 2018. Old passes will not be valid after these dates.