Please contact your Senators and urge them to co-sponsor and support S. 2416.
Please contact your Representatives and urge them to co-sponsor and support H.R. 5038.
NGAUS strongly supports S. 2416 and H.R. 5038, the National Guard and Reserves Benefits Parity Act. These bills would authorize early retirement credit and other benefits for National Guard and Reserve service members mobilized under 12304b authority. These are the same benefits they earn under similar mobilization authorities.
- 2416 is sponsored by Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi and Sen. Chris Coons of Delaware. H.R. 5038 is sponsored by Rep. Steven Palazzo of Mississippi and Rep. Tim Walz of Minnesota.
The 12304b mobilization authority was created in 2012 to allow the Department of Defense to deploy reserve forces for preplanned missions in support of combatant commanders. However, unlike other overseas mobilizations, National Guardsmen and Reservists do not earn a retirement-age reduction or credit for high-tempo time spent while deployed, among other benefits.
The National Guard and Reserve Benefits Parity Act would allow:
- Reduction of the age for eligibility for retirement pay for National Guard and Reserve service members called to active duty under 12304b;
- National Guard and Reserve forces to accrue high-deployment allowance for service, thus preventing them from being sent on rapid successive deployments;
- Protection of eligibility for training and rehabilitation services interrupted by deployments; and
- No reduction in federal pay for federal employees deployed under 12304b.
Passing this vitally important legislation would ensure Guardsmen and Reservists receive the benefits they deserve when they provide life-saving humanitarian aid, security forces and logistical support around the world. Thank you, as always, for your continued support of our Armed Forces.
NGAUS Point of Contact: